Wednesday 16 May 2012

ManchesterManchester

When we visited Manchester to see the Roger Ballen exhibition, we were also set a one day brief on street photography. The brief was to produce 4 images that work together as a set, with a meaning, theme or context linking them. We looked at some quick examples including street fashion photography (similar to my Styling Leeds job), examples where the photographer had set up flashes in the street that were triggered when people walked past, and images that showed people lit by a selective light, and the rest of the image and busy street in shadow, creating a sense of isolation.
When I got to Manchester I started taking some photographs, I thought about different ideas, including a set of relatively unflattering photos of people putting food in their mouths, a set of people's blurred relfections in windows. However I decided to work with Paige to produce a collaborative set in the style of WassinkLundgren's TokyoTokyo, inspired by their talk the other week. Their TokyoTokyo series involved them shooting the same photograph of someone in the street, at the same time, however from two different angles.
I like this idea as its a completely new approach to street photography, creating interesting and sometimes funny results. I saw this as a good opportunity to try this out for myself. I worked with Paige and we developed sometimes subtle, and sometimes blatently obvious signals of who we wanted too photograph, and quickly ran to either side of the path we were on, and waited for our chosen person to pass. This produced some unexpectedly hilarious results from people's surprised, and sometimes angry reactions.







No comments:

Post a Comment